Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Day 11 - All that glisters...

...is not gold, some bloke once wrote. Well, I certainly discovered that today.

After a pretty decent run had seen me stretch to an unprecedented lead, it was hard not to be confident going into today's contest. After all, lab 207 - with all it's reputation for unpredictability - had been kind to me before and I was mindful of their previous comments about glitter and ironing.

It was with this in mind that I found myself meticulously ironing the front and back of my black Batman tee, with a gold Batman logo resplendent in the middle. 'What could be better than glitter, but gold?' I thought to myself. But on arrival at work, I knew that it would be a hard-fought contest. Pete, languishing in last place, had pulled out a trump card in his 'girl walking away' printed shirt. Nick was risking a plain, but stylish gun-metal grey number with orange panels sewn into the sleeves and eyelet 'vents' in the armpits (see photo).

In the lion's den we were paraded up and down like cattle, but it soon became apparent that a miraculous stroke of good fortune had swung things in Pete's favour. Leaning against a blackboard had produced what could only be described as an 'abstract rainbow' on his back... and back-prints had previously been noted as a favourite feature of some of the more discerning judges.

And so the results came it: Pete was right back in the game with 3 points, Nick bucked the trend for plain T-shirts with 2 and I only just maintained my lead with 1 bat-point. So the points were tallied up and photos taken, but all I could think about was the judges' comments... 'don't mistake gold... for glitter'.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home