Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Day 16 - Shot Down in Flames

When the theme for today was announced as "Immunology" I knew right away which T-shirt I was going to play having spotted it earlier and hoped that some kind of Science or Immunology theme would come up. I knew it wasn't explicity Immunology but thought no-one was likely to come any closer. In addition despite being rather old and worn it was reasonably stylish in it's day. So I was optimistic as I went through my morning routine of ironing it specially for the judges.

When I arrived Brian had a Washington DC T-shirt on, the acronym for the Dendritic Cell of the immune system. Nice bit of improvisation. Pete however seemed to have made no effort at all and was wearing an O'Neill Deep Blue Open T-shirt. It turns out this was rather an obscure reference to Luke O'Neill, one of the collaborators in the area of immunology Pete is studying. Surely a bit of a long shot.

Apparently not. Pete came in first, Brian second and me last. The judges reported "Stunning efforts from Pete & Brian. Brian's was more relevant to Immunology in general but because it was Pete's idea he wins. Kudos to Brian for owning up though. Nick did not read the question properly and was too general. A poor effort must try harder". Obviously I don't want to upset the judges, but the problem appeared to be - not listening to my explanation properly, rather than - not reading the question properly. Regardless my explanation of the vital role of "genetic engineering" techniques (as referred to on my Pro-Clone T-shirt) in the toolset of an investigative immunologist fell on deaf ears.

The judges have spoken and as they say "Like the Murphy's...."


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rubbish! I demand a re-count!! The pro-clone T-shirt should have won!

2:09 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, chaps, it seems your judges are pretty out of touch with the times. Obviously young Nicholas should have won. I did my own bit of battling against the bugs in my day, and now have a Battleship named after me.

On that theme, I'm surprised no-one chose this T-shirt. We are talking virtual immunology too, aren't we?

Keep up the good work. Jolly good show!

Grace

4:04 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what's tomorrow's theme?

4:07 pm GMT  
Blogger MonkeyMagic said...

Tomorrow's theme is 'Holidays'. we'll try and put a quick post up about that soon.

4:37 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance

7:38 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home